It’s time to think about Metrology Fixture Preventative Maintenance
Your metrology fixture was a planned investment. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that this vital piece of equipment is in good working condition. This is paramount in order for your metrology process to provide accurate and repeatable results. An effective preventative maintenance plan and periodic re-validation are essential in ensuring reliability from your fixtures.
Revalidating your Measurement Fixture annually guarantees that it remains fit for its purpose. It also provides an opportunity to have it checked out fully for damage or worn parts.
In addition to the re-validation of your Fixture, which consists of running it through a Type 1 Gage R&R to ensure that it performs to recognized standards, we always carry out the following checks beforehand:
- Look for evidence of any external damage such as blows, scratches, and dents.
- Check for any misalignments.
- Ensure all centering features/elements are not worn, loose or damaged.
- Check that all moving components move freely and locate into their correct positions.
- Ensure that all components of the fixture have their own unique identification, so that parts can be easily identified if removed or requires replacement.
- Ensure that adequate handles are provided for the safe movement of the fixture by the operator.
On completion of the above assessment, you will be notified if any components require repair or replacement.
The timeframe for fixture re-certification, excluding any unforeseen repairs, is normally 3 working days.
For an estimate on your Measurement Fixture Re-Validation, please contact Hazel Rooney our Metrology Manager in Ireland on +353 (0)71 91 43506 (ext. 4) or Jon Banner, our UK Group Applications and Development Director on +44 (0)115 7841934. Moreover, be sure to subscribe to our NEWSLETTER to receive our technical blogs, customer updates, and latest developments.